What NIST SP 800-171 Has To Do With You
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is a part of the U.S. Department of Commerce. NIST’s mission is to promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve our quality of life.
What is NIST SP 800-171
NIST 800-171 is a set of standards that define how to protect and distribute material that is sensitive but not classified. NIST 800-171 lists 110 security requirements within 14 control categories. These categories can be summarized into four main areas:
- Monitoring & managing
- End user practices
- Security measures
Anyone who processes, stores or transmits Controlled Unclassified Information (Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) is information that requires safeguarding or dissemination controls pursuant to and consistent with applicable law, regulations, and government-wide policies but is not classified under Executive Order 13526 or the Atomic Energy Act, as amended.) for the DoD, GSA, NASA and other federal and state agencies including contract agencies must meet these standards. Becoming NIST compliant is an ongoing process that requires assessing current security controls, designing required changes to your systems, deploying those changes, enforcing new policies, and continuously managing the systems.
What are the benefits of being NIST compliant?
- NIST compliance helps to ensure an organization’s infrastructure is secure.
- It provides the set of standards for suggested security controls for information systems at federal agencies.
- It lays the foundational protocol for companies to follow when achieving compliance with regulations such as HIPAA or FISMA.
How Peerless Tech Solutions Can Help
- Work with organizations in Southern Maryland, Washington D.C. and Virginia to understand your business, your policies, and controls
- Evaluate your infrastructure and compare it with current compliance control requirements where we provide you with a detailed assessment report
- Design and deploy required changes within current IT systems and enforce new policies
- Continuously manage the system control policies to keep you compliant and ensure milestones are met
NIST SP 800-171 Compliance
Need guidance on NIST SP 800-171 compliance anywhere from Washington D.C. to Southern Maryland? We're experts, specializing in NIST 800-171 compliance.